Dog Licensing Information
How and when can I contact you?
Licensing Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Marion County Dog Licensing is done primarily at our main office at the Marion County Dog Shelter, but we have several options for renewing or purchasing a dog license. They include:
Renew online In order to license your dog through our online payment system, a valid rabies certificate (valid for 12+ months) must already be on file with Marion County Dog Services.
Print out an application for new licenses and mail to the Dog Shelter or bring to either location
Purchase a license at the Marion County Dog Shelter located at:
Purchase a license at Public Works located at:
License at a local veterinarian's office. Click here for a list of participating veterinarians.
- It's the law. Under ORS 609.100, all dogs in Marion County that meet the age and/or residency requirements (below) must be licensed.
- A lost dog can be identified by the license and returned to its home.
- If you are not home and your dog is impounded, we can notify you.
- If a dog bites and has a current rabies shot and license, it can be kept at home for observation, preventing costly impound fees.
- If your dog is injured and needs immediate authorization for medical procedures through a veterinarian, we can run your dog's license and contact you at the emergency number you provided us when you licensed the dog.
- If you are traveling with your dog and have a car accident, sometimes the dog is thrown clear, and possibly ends up lost in another state. A dog license can be traced from anywhere, at any time. With the emergency contact number you provided when you licensed the dog, we can contact someone to retrieve your dog.
- Failure to license your dog can result in a citation. A license on your dog helps the state regulate the compliance of the Rabies Ordinance established for the health and welfare of your community.
Every person owning or keeping a dog in Marion County must purchase a dog license when:
The dog is six months of age or has its permanent canine teeth, whichever comes first; OR
Within 30 days of becoming owner or keeper; OR
Within 30 days of moving into Marion County.
You may also license your puppy free of charge and receive the same benefits listed above .
Click here for an application .
How much does it cost?
1 year period
2 year period
3 year period
Non-Neutered Dog *
Neutered Dog Owned by Senior (65 or over)**
*For the Neutered Dog discount, a neutered or spay-neuter certificate is required.
**For the Senior discount, proof of age will be required, such as a driver's license.
Late penalty $10.00
Late penalties may be assessed for failure to purchase on time, along with a court fine up to $360.
- A valid rabies certificate, issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian, is required at the time of licensing. The expiration date on the dog license cannot exceed the expiration date of the rabies certificate by more than two months.
- Dog licenses may be purchased for one, two, or three years at a time. Rabies certificates must be valid for the same period of time as the license.
- Dog licenses expire one (1) year from the month of purchase unless the shot expires before then or the owner chooses to purchase a license for two (2) or three (3) years.
Dog Services uses collected fees to provide investigations on complaints, such as loose or lost dogs, dogs in traffic, dogs killing livestock or domestic pets, dog bites, injured dogs, and many other problems.