Health Systems Setting
Health systems are places such as hospitals, doctor's offices, and clinics. People visit these systems to stay or become healthy, and access a wide variety of health services. Thus, health systems are a natural place to model and support health practices.
Goal and Objectives
- Goal 1: Hospitals and clinics adopt and enforce tobacco-free campus policies.
- Objective 1: By June 30, 2010, a least one multi-provider clinic in Marion County will adopt a campus-wide, tobacco-free policy
- Goal 2:Tobacco cessation messages and information about evidence-based assistance for quitting that meet literacy and linguistic needs (such as provider-offered services and the Oregon Tobacco Quit Line) are appropriately integrated into provider-patient interactions.
- Objective 1: By June 30, 2011, Marion Polk Medical Society and Mid-Valley IPA will support a tobacco cessation assistance guideline that includes information about incorporating tobacco cessation messages and evidence-based assistance for quitting into patient-provider interactions.
- Objective 2: By June 30, 2012, 50% of multi provider clinics in Marion County will have identified and shared with Marion County Health Department a staff contact person to receive resources on tobacco cessation and evidence-based quit assistance.
- Goal 3: Health care providers refer patients to evidence-based self-management programs in the community.
- Objective 1: By June 30, 2012, at least one Social Service Agency in Marion County will have procedures in place to provide systematic referral for people with a diagnosed chronic disease to an evidence based Chronic Disease Self Management Program.
- Goal 4: Health systems support health care providers who champion and advocate for the prevention, early detection and management of chronic diseases in all settings
- Objective 1: By June 30, 2010, at least 2 health care providers will join the chronic disease prevention subcommittee and advocate for chronic disease prevention efforts
Partnership for Prevention Action Guide for healthcare provider reminder systems, provider education, and patient education concerning the use of tobacco
Tobacco cessation information and resources for hospitals
OHSU Tobacco Free Initiative training tools