Project Location Meridian Road at Hobart, Downs, Abiqua, East College and Mt. Angel Scotts Mills Roads
Project Purpose and Need
· These five "Y" intersections have experienced a disproportionate number of injury A and fatal crashes in the last 5 years. The "Y" configuration introduces too many decision points for motorists and also creates situations where visibility of oncoming traffic is impaired due to the angles of the intersection legs.
· The proposed improvements would make a significant safety impact by reducing driver confusion, assigning right-of-way, and simplifying the overall intersection design. It will also eliminate the vision obstruction issues commonly occurring at these curving roadways, which are especially troublesome for large trucks and farming vehicles.
Proposed Construction Overview
1. Realign Monitor Road to intersect Hobart/Meridian at right angles and at one point. Reduce banking on Hobart/Meridian to facilitate turning movements. In Progress: 15% Complete as of 9/18/14
2. Realign Downs Road to intersect Meridian at right angles and at one point. Reduce banking on Meridian to facilitate turning movements.In Progress: 80% Complete as of 9/18/14
3. Realign Abiqua Road to intersect Meridian at right angles and at one point. Reduce banking on Meridian to facilitate turning movements.In Progress: 75% Complete as of 9/18/14
4. Remove “Y” lanes on East College and Mt. Angel Scotts Mills Roads. Provide “T” intersection with wider flares to facilitate turning movements.In Progress: 60% Complete as of 9/18/14
5. Widen lanes on Meridian in the curves at intersections to allow for truck off tracking.In Progress: 50% Complete as of 9/18/14
· Total Estimated Project Cost, including engineering, Right-of-Way, and construction is $1,500,000.
· Funded through a federal High Risk Rural Roads grant designed to address rural road safety problems and Marion County gas taxes.· Contract awarded to Salem Road & Driveway
Project Design 2011- Winter of 2013Right of Way Acquisition 2012- Winter of 2013Bid Fall 2013Construction Summer 2014 Public Meeting Announcement Thursday, June 28, 2013 7:00pm
View Larger Map
For Questions or Comments about Right-of-Way contact:Seth Hemelstrand at email@example.com For all other Questions or Comments, please use the form below.