PARKS COMMISSION MEETING
January 19, 2006
ROUTINE BUSINESS: Wynn Cudmore, Vice-Chair called the meeting to order at 9:00 am.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Wynn Cudmore, Laura Dowlan, Michael Higgs, Jyll Smith, Robert Garrett
MEMBERS ABSENT: John Brandt
GUEST: Scott Norris, Legal Counsel
STAFF PRESENT: Jeff Bickford, Tanya Beard, Diana Shamberger
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:Motion: Wynn moved to approve the previous meeting minutes. The motion was seconded. Discussion: Page 3, 3rd paragraph, Laura requested a clarification to change “Laura, our BLM-PC signed a parks host agreement” to “BLM and PW are working towards signing a parks host agreement”. Vote: The vote was unanimous in favor with the change requested. Public Comment: no public attending
Commission Input: City of Salem now has a new Parks Superintendent, Tom Kaffin. The North Santiam Canyon Economic Development Council met yesterday to begin an implementation strategy for the canyon trail project. That group may be coming to Marion County (MC) for assistance in implementing their plan. The Parks Commission (PC) group thought it was a good idea for the county to prepare for their request. Tanya will check with Mike McCarthy on who the contact person would be for Public Works (PW).
Discussion: Rogers Wayside BMX contract - management plan (Scott Norris, Legal Counsel)
Scott asked if everyone had reviewed the latest version of the draft agreement. Scott came to the meeting to clarify a few questions he had on the draft agreement. He needed clarification from the group pertaining to the 1-yr. review process that was requested by the PC.
Laura suggested that Park’s staff review the agreement along with an actual site review to make sure there are no problems or concerns. Park’s staff would of course act on any major problems that could come up in the interim that would require to be dealt with more quickly. Scott said these kinds of potential problems would be covered in the contract or by park rules and regulations. Scott asked the PC group specifically, if they wished to make a suggestion to the BOC.
Jeff suggested that parks staff perform a yearly evaluation. The park/BMX facility would be reviewed each year by staff and results presented at the next scheduled PC meeting for review. If there were no problems, it would just be a consent item for the BOC to approve. Parks staff would be responsible for monitoring and bring any potential concerns to PC for consideration.
Scott clarified the annual review will be by the PC along with the report prepared by parks staff. In the event that PC recommends no renewal, that recommendation would go to the BOC to act on. The contract calls for a regular, once-a-month inspection. Either party can terminate with 30 days notice, the county can remove or give it to another entity or continue with the operation by parks staff. The initial contract term will be 2 yrs. The first review will take place before the end of the first term, at 12 months. Tanya questioned if it would be desirable to give citizens visiting the park an opportunity to make comments. Scott said the terms of the contract require MC to list PW’s phone number on the signs at the park, if citizens have questions or comments. PW’s main phone number (503) 588-5036 will be listed.
The PC feels that the county has done a great job reviewing all possible safeguards to ensure that the project will be successful. After final review, the project will go to Jason’s group for their review. The CAO for MC has conceptually signed off on the idea. The BOC’s view, by Scott’s perspective, is positive, if all the responsibilities have been covered for the county. After the BMX group’s approval, it will formally go before the board and a public hearing will be held at that time as well.
Scott asked if the PC wants to see the final draft before it goes to Jason and his group. The PC said they are comfortable with the minor clarifications and to proceed with the process.
Updates: County Park’s staff: Tanya announced to the PC that Orville is no longer working for MC. Jeff just finished revisions on the job description for the Parks Coordinator this week. The position will include additional administrative duties. The salary will go up approximately 10% and the process is finishing up with HR this week. Jeff said the goal would be to have a new person in place by early March.
Jeff noted that we still currently have an opening on the PC board. Glenis Chapin, the County’s Volunteer Coordinator, has already advertised, and we now have four applicants. Jeff asked if there was a volunteer to sit in on the interviews. Jyll said she would like to participate. Jeff will E-mail her with details. Also, Jeff asked if a representative from the PC would like to sit in on the Park’s Coordinator interview. Mike said he would volunteer. Jeff will contact him when the interviews are scheduled.
Budget: Jeff handed out the proposed Parks Capitol Improvement Plan. Jeff asked for input from the group on the proposed plan. Parks will be asking for one other item not listed from general fund because we don’t have the personnel resources. Tanya is working on acquiring estimates to hire an consulting firm to develop a new Parks Master Plan. Also, staff is putting together documentation and reviewing the current charges for Park’s SDC’s as staff has already met with the BOC. They already have a consensus that SDC’s for parks need to be increased. The board needs justification to implement an increase.
Motion: Laura entertained a motion to approve the 06/07 CIP budget request. The motion was seconded. Vote: The vote was unanimous in favor.
Cain property: This property was gained by a foreclosure in 1955. The chances for a profitable potential sale of the property are slim at this point. Currently, development of the property is restricted, as it is zoned special agriculture, which does not allow for a home to be built on the site without at least $80,000 in agriculture revenue from the site. The property as is, currently is valued at approximately $2000 per acre. Robert asked if the current weed problem on site might require future maintenance costs. Staff replied that was possible depending on the outcome of the upcoming MC Weed Advisory Board implementation. The PC agreed that Code Enforcement should take on the issue of the neighboring property encroachment due to the building of a rock gate on the right of way. Jeff said we would plan to look at resolving that issue first and then consider looking into the possibility of rezoning the property to increase the land value.
Tanya discussed all of the presentations she has done already and has the following coming up soon: IVM at Chemical Application Short course and Non-crop Vegetation Course; Natives at MSWCD; Benefits of natives in pesticide reduction/ HHW at Master Recyclers. We have now scheduled our natural resources meeting to agencies. A letter was sent out to multiple agencies to include them in discussing weed elements and Emily will be reviewing the Total Daily Maximum Load Program. Expected attendees include: Representatives from each of the incorporated cities, BLM, USFWS, ODWF, USFS, ODA, MSWCD, ODOT, OPRD, OWEB, DEQ, Watershed Councils and the Marion County Commissioners. Primarily presentations will be the vehicle for these meetings.
Tanya brought a potential property acquisition to the meeting. Frank Lumber currently owns 17-acres next to N. Fork Park they would like to sell and they are open to a number of options. The approximate value is $196,000. They are not in a big hurry to sell. Laura suggested a site review to evaluate the potential parks use of this land. Tanya will verify the exact location of the property and acquire a plat map. Diana will send the map out to the PC group when it’s ready.
Review bylaws and elect new officers: The PC gave the newly approved bylaws a brief review and agreed that the new updates are a great improvement over the previous ones and have no request for any changes at this time.
Terms are for 4-yrs, with officers re-elected every 2-yrs. and this advisory board only has a Chair and a Vice-Chair. These positions have already been in place for a number of years, so the change of leadership was timely.
Motion: John nominated Wynn by proxy. According to our bylaws, he would succeed to the chair position.
Vote: The vote was unanimous in favor.
Motion: Mike nominated Laura be recommended to the BOC for the Vice-Chair position.
Jeff will prepare the board memo with that recommendation.
Tanya is interviewing a temp/work study student from North Salem High. Tanya hopes to have her work on updating our Parks web site.
Next Meeting: Thursday, April 6, 2006, 9:00 am to noon. Tanya will reserve the Santiam room for the upcoming meeting. Tanya will develop an agenda for the next meeting and Diana will get it out to the group and post it on our web site, as well.
Motion: Wynn motioned to adjourn at 11:30 am. The motion was seconded.
Vote: The vote was unanimous in favor.
Jeff Bickford approved these minutes