Marion County Planning Commission
Opening on county Planning Commission!! Join a group of people who can affect what gets built -- and what doesn’t -- next to cities, near a favorite fishing hole, along I-5 and the Willamette River, in the fields and orchards, and all the way up to the Santiam Pass. To maintain geographic representation, preference will be given for persons living in the St. Paul, Stayton, and Macleay areas. Application forms are available at the Marion County Business Services Office, 325 13th St. NE, Salem or online at volunteer.co.marion.or.us/. Applicants should be at least 18 years old and residents of Marion County. For more information or to receive an application by mail, contact the Business Services Office, 503-588-7990, e-mail email@example.com.
The Planning Commission reviews subdivisions, amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinances, and assist the Board of Commissioners in developing long-range land use plans for Marion County. Members serve without pay.
Current MembersGeorge Grabenhorst, ChairStanley BirchMike LongGary MondersCarla MikkelsonGlenn HolumDennis Personvacantvacant
Staff Liaison: Tami Amala, (503) 588-5038 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We strongly advise you not to submit testimony or comments, request information on a case going to hearing, or any other time-sensitive requests via email. It is possible the County's security software will prevent an email from reaching us. Also, there can be technical issues that slow delivery of email. If you email any testimony or comments to our office prior to a hearing, please confirm the email has been received by calling our office at (503) 588-5038. If you have questions or are requesting information on a particular case, please call our office and ask to speak to the person assigned to that case. We strongly advise you not to email staff the day of a hearing requesting information.It is important to note that any form of communication (fax, email, etc.) sent and/or received after close of business at 4:00 p.m. may not be included in any hearing occurring on the same day.
The Planning Commission Chair will conduct the hearing as follows:
1. Planning staff will present a report and recommendation.2. Representatives from other governmental agencies or departments may provide comments.3. The applicant or representative will then present testimony in favor of the application.4. Citizens in favor of the proposal will be asked to present comments.5. Citizens against the proposal will be asked to present comments.6. Citizens with general comments will be asked to present comments.7. The applicant (or representative) will then be given an opportunity for rebuttal. 8. Unless the Planning Commission continues the hearing, or leaves the record open for additional written testimony, the public hearing will be closed. No further testimony or comments will be allowed once the hearing is closed.
The Decision-Making Process:
1. The Planning Commission will review the application, Planning Division file, evidence presented, and testimony given. A decision can be expected at the conclusion of the public hearing, unless the case is continued.
2. Notice of the decision will be sent to the applicant, persons providing written testimony, and persons listed on the "Sign-In Sheet".
3. The Planning Commission's decision can be appealed to the Marion County Board of Commissioners. Details of the appeal process are included in the decision or are available from the Planning Division.
4. The Board of Commissioners will accept or deny an appeal. If an appeal is accepted, a public hearing will be scheduled before the Board of Commissioners, or the Board may refer the case to a Hearings Officer for rehearing.For information on a case or the Planning Commission, contact the Planning Division at (503) 588-5038. Land Use cases may be reviewed at the Planning Division; 5155 Silverton Rd. NE, Salem.