How to Prevent STIs
Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) need to be taken seriously. MCHHS wants everyone in Marion County to be careful when they are having sex of any kind. Untreated, STIs can cause serious complications, like infertility, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, and more.
Prevention is key. Take steps to keep yourself safe any time you're having sex, whether it's oral, vaginal, or anal.
The best ways to protect yourself from STIs are:
- Use a condom every time, even for oral sex.
- Get your HPV and Hepatitis B shots.
- Limit the number of people you have sex with.
- Get tested and finish any treatment BEFORE having sex with a new partner.
- Talk openly with all new partners about your STI statuses.
Help us end the spread of STIs.
Click to learn more about STI testing in Marion County.