Dog Adoption Information
December Adoption Special
WHAT: Adoption fees equal the day of the month for all dogs 7 months and older, from December 7 through December 22nd. This means that adopters can adopt a dog for $7 on December 7, $8 on December 8, and so forth. In addition a 1 year license must be purchased.
WHO: Marion County Dog Shelter
WHERE: 3550 Aumsville Hwy SE, Salem, OR 97317
WHEN: From December 7 through December 22nd. Adoption hours are Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
WHY: To send adoptable dogs home for the holidays.
Interested in Adopting A Dog From Us?
When adopting a dog you are gaining a family member for the rest of its life. For a puppy, this can be a commitment of 10 to 15 years.
Our shelter rescues lost dogs, which mean these dogs have gotten away from their owner or have been abandoned. While most of the dogs we care for are reunited with their owner, many are left needing a new home. If you are looking for a new companion, visit our shelter Tuesday thru Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and look through our kennels or view the
adoptable dogs on our website.
Adoption Fee: $175
- Spay or neuter surgery (if not already altered)
- Veterinarian's health exam
- Initial vaccinations, flea control and deworming
- Microchip identification and registry with a national database
- Dog License (if Marion County resident)
- Small bag of Science Diet dog food
- Plus, you get a great new forever friend - what a deal!
You're looking for a great dog and we are looking for great homes to place our dogs! We want to make sure that you and your new dog will be a good match and have a long, happy life together. Here are a few tips to help for our adoption process:
Complete the pre-adoption questionnaire
◦ Fill out an adoption questionnaire at the shelter or
◦ If you have a fenced yard we may ask to see pictures of your fencing. Some of our dogs know how to escape from a fenced yard.
◦ Do you rent? Please make sure your landlord allows dogs, check for size and breed restrictions, and pay any pet deposits before adopting.
◦ Talk with our adoption counselors by visiting the shelter or calling them at 503-588-5233.
◦ No appointment needed but plan on 30-45 minutes to meet with an adoption counselor.
◦ We want this to be a family decision, please bring all family members in the household to meet the new dog.
◦ Do you already have a dog? We would like him or her to meet the new dog too!
◦ Our adoption counselors will help you decide whether the dog you've chosen will fit well with your lifestyle and give you information about training and caring for your new family member.
◦ Unless the dog is already spayed or neutered, we will deliver him to the veterinarian for surgery before you take him home. You can normally pick up your new friend one day after the spay/neuter surgery.
Enjoy your new forever friend
◦ Call us if you have questions or concerns about your dog; we will do everything we can to help you and your dog have a successful long term relationship.