Our mission is to establish credibility in death investigations, in a system that will operate efficiently and serve the needs of the citizens of Marion County.
The primary function of the county medical examiner is the search for a truthful, logical and scientifically unbiased statement of the cause and manner of death of an individual. The State of Oregon mandates,
(ORS) 146.065, that there shall be, in each county a medical examiner program. This District Medical Examiner (DME) shall investigate unattended, unusual, or traumatic deaths. The District Attorney (DA) shares in these duties and responsibilities.
Types of Deaths Requiring DME Investigation
- Deaths from apparent homicide, or suicides occurring under suspicious circumstances.
- Deaths resulting from unlawful use of controlled substances or the use and abuse of chemicals or toxic agents.
- Deaths occurring while the subject is incarcerated or in police custody.
- Accidental deaths or following an injury.
- Death caused by disease, injury or toxic agent during or arising from employment.
- Death while not under the care of a physician during the period immediately previous to death.
- Death from a disease that may threaten public health.
- Any human body apparently disposed of in an offensive manner.
3180 Center Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
PO Box 14500
Salem, OR 97309
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
View the Directory