Dog Licensing Information
How and when can I contact you?
Monday - Friday 12:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Saturday - 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Marion County Dog Licensing is done primarily at our main office at Marion County Dog Services, but we have several options for renewing or purchasing a dog license. They include:
Click HERE to renew or purchase a new dog license online. In order to license your dog through our online payment system, a valid rabies certificate (valid for 12+ months) must be uploaded at time of purchase or already be on file with Marion County Dog Services. **Please note: If this is your first time licensing online, you will need your dog's license number to RENEW a license**
Print out an application for new licenses and mail to Marion County Dog Services or bring it to one of the locations listed below.
Purchase a license at Marion County Community Services located at:
555 Court St NE, Suite 3120, Salem, OR
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Purchase a license at Marion County Public Works located at:
Purchase a license thru a local Veterinary and Community Dog Licensing Program (VCLP) partner.
Click here for a list of participating veterinarians.
- It's the law. Under ORS 609.100 and MCC 6.05.060 all dogs that reside in Marion County who either have permanent teeth or are six months old must be licensed. Failure to license may result in court action and fines.
- A lost dog can be identified by its license and returned to its home.
- If you are not home and your dog is impounded, we can easily notify you.
- If a dog bites and has a current rabies vaccine and license, it can be kept at home for observation, preventing costly impound fees.
- If your dog is injured and needs immediate authorization for medical procedures through a veterinarian, we can check your dog's license and contact you at the emergency number provided to us when the dog was licensed.
- If you are traveling with your dog and have a car accident, a dog license can be traced from anywhere, at any time. With the emergency contact number provided when your dog was licensed, we can contact someone to retrieve your dog if you become incapacitated.
- Failure to license your dog can result in a citation. A license on your dog helps the state regulate the compliance of the rabies ordinance established for the health and welfare of our community.
Every person owning or keeping a dog in Marion County must purchase a dog license when:
The dog is six months of age or has its permanent canine teeth, whichever comes first; OR
Within 30 days of becoming owner or keeper; OR
Within 30 days of moving into Marion County.
You may also license your puppy free of charge and receive the same benefits listed above .
Click here for an application.
How much does it cost?
1 year period
2 year period
3 year period
Unaltered Dogs *
Senior Discount, for altered dogs
(65 or over)**
*For discount, spay/neuter certificate is required.
**For the senior discount, proof of age will be required, such as a driver's license.
- A valid rabies certificate, issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian, is required at the time of licensing. The expiration date on the dog license cannot exceed the expiration date of the rabies certificate by more than two months.
- Dog licenses may be purchased for one, two, or three years at a time. Rabies certificates must be valid for the same period of time as the license.
- Dog licenses expire one (1) year from the month of purchase unless the certificate expires before then or the owner chooses to purchase a license for two (2) or three (3) years.
Administrative fees for late license renewal:
1 - 30 days $10.00
31 - 60 days $20.00
Beyond 60 days $30.00
Late penalties may be assessed for failure to purchase on time, along with a court fine up to $360.
(Administration fees for late license renewals can be waived by management at licensing events)
Marion County Dog Services uses collected fees to provide investigations on complaints, such as loose or lost dogs, dogs in traffic, dogs killing livestock or domestic pets, dog bites, injured dogs, and many other problems.