Community Emergency Response Team
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, and disaster medical operations. Using their training, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event and can take a more active role in preparing their community. The motto is "doing the greatest good for the greatest number of people". The CERT program is administered by the Department of Homeland Security.
In a 21-hour hands-on course, CERT members are trained to:
- Prepare for a disaster
- Describe the types of hazards most likely to affect their communities
- Identify risks & reduce fire hazards
- Work in a team setting
- Learn the Incident Command System
- Apply basic fire suppression strategies
- Apply basic first aid techniques to open airways, control bleeding & treat shock
- Perform head-to-toe assessments
- Set up treatment areas
- Size-up search & rescue situations
- Conduct light search & rescue operations
- Use safe techniques for debris removal & victim extrication
Why take CERT training?
The primary reason for CERT training is to give people decision-making, organizational and practical skills to offer immediate assistance to family members, neighbors, and associates while waiting for help. The goal of the CERT program is to train volunteers to be effective and efficient in disaster mitigation, response and recovery without placing themselves in unnecessary danger.
How do I take CERT training?
To become a CERT member, you will need to complete the CERT training course administered by a sponsoring agency like an emergency management agency, fire or police department.
Classes in Salem listed at:
No classes until Fall
CERT's within Marion County
Contact the Marion County Citizen Corps, Erik Anderson, Program Coordinator, at 503.365.3186 or
email@example.com or go to the CERT Web site
https://www.ready.gov/citizen-corps to locate a CERT program, education and training available to you.
Do the Greatest Good for the Greatest Number of People