9 Steps to Develop a Successful Recycling Program
- Be a motivated manager that is dedicated to having a successful on-site recycling program.
- Assess the layout of the facility for available space to locate outdoor or indoor collection containers. Create a plan for the number and size of on-site collection containers you will need. Make space for a recycling container near every garbage. (Doing so can be crucial to the success of your recycling program!)
- Call your hauler to gather information on the size and type of containers they
have available. If you are within an urban growth boundary, your hauler can provide mixed recycling containers and pick-up service at no additional cost to your current garbage service. At your request, haulers can also provide glass collection containers and pick-up service as well. Recycling and garbage collection days will vary by hauler and location. Determine the size and number of containers that will work best for your community and request these from your hauler.
- Display quality signage in the recycling areas and on collection containers.
- Provide recycling info to all residents alerting them to the on-site recycling containers, why they should use them, and how to do so properly. You could also organize a community event, such as a potluck or presentation, to promote your new and improved recycling program.
- Monitor your program
successes, problems, and contamination issues. Be flexible and make adjustments as necessary.
Encourage your residents
to recycle. Distribute recycling reminders twice a year, particularly during the holiday season, and as your program changes.
- Educate new residents upon move-in of recycling opportunities on-site. Provide recycling brochures with their move-in paperwork. You can also have new residents sign a recycling contract (view template of contract ).
- Provide guidance upon move-out to residents about proper disposal and donation opportunities in the local community.
garbage and recycling service provider for billing, route information, or questions regarding your collection schedule.