“We don’t need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly.
We need millions of people doing it imperfectly.”
- Anne Marie Bonneau, Zero Waste Chef
The most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place. Making new products requires a lot of materials and energy (raw materials must be extracted from the earth, and the product must be fabricated then transported to wherever it will be sold). As a result, reduction and reuse are the most effective ways you can save natural resources, protect the environment, and save money.
Benefits of Reducing and Reusing
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to harvest new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations
- Saves money
- Reduces the amount of waste that will need to be recycled or sent to landfills or energy from waste facilities
- Allows products to be used to their fullest extent