The Marion County WIC program is dedicated to providing a warm welcoming environment for moms who want to be successful at breastfeeding. WIC offers free programs and services for those who are eligible in our community!
Why Breastfeeding Matters
Breastfeeding provides an ideal source of nutrition for a baby's growth and development. Breastfed babies have a lower risk of developing some illnesses and diseases, such as asthma, obesity, type 1 diabetes and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), etc. For moms, breastfeeding reduces the chance of developing breast, ovarian, and endometrial cancers. In addition, breastfeeding is beneficial for our economy and the environment! Exclusively breastfeeding English / Español for at least six months and then breastfeeding plus supplemental foods for up to 12+ months is promoted and supported by WIC.
You can visit the Oregon Health Authority website to learn more about why breastfeeding matters!
Marion County WIC currently offers virtual Milkology classes every third Thursday of each month from 11:45am - 12:45pm. Contact the Marion County WIC office to get signed up for the next class!
A variety of
online nutrition education classesand take-home sessions are available to all Oregon WIC participants! Classes range from infant, child, pregnancy, family and cooking classes, to help support you and your family. All you need to access these classes is your WIC login information. Click the link above and enjoy!
Returning to Work or School
Contact your insurance provider for more information. If you are having difficulties or are without insurance,
connect with your local WIC Program to discuss your options.
Visit this link
for more information regarding coverage for breast pumps.
- Offers a variety of services to breastfeeding mothers including general information about breastfeeding, support groups, and how to become a milk donor! Offered in Español (Spanish) .
- Offers online self-learning classes for breastfeeding, childbirth, and mother and baby care. See their website for additional information.
La Leche League International
- Provides a list of breastfeeding information from A to Z. The topics listed are interests from other parents of breastfed children. Under each topic drop down menu are links to articles that discuss the selected topic in-depth. Offered in Español (Spanish), Français (French), 中文 (Chinese), 日本 語 (Japanese), Русский (Russian), Ελληνικά (Greek), Türkçe (Turkish), and العربية (Arabic).
- Aims to provide evidence-based breastfeeding information through a variety of networks, such as connecting moms with local breastfeeding counselors, articles, and Facebook groups.
- Have Infant Feeding Specialists who are available for feeding consultations, planning sessions, and feeding sessions. Visit their website to learn more about these services.
First Droplets - Founded by a Stanford team and nationally recognized physicians who committed to improving new mothers and parents breastfeeding experiences. Provides a detailed explanation about how to prepare for exclusive breastfeeding, what the challenges may be, and how to overcome breastfeeding problems. Offered in Español (Spanish) .
Stanford Medicine Breastfeeding
- A medicine website that covers a range of knowledge about breastfeeding, including but not limited to, the first hour of breastfeeding, successful breastfeeding techniques, hand expression of milk, etc.
Connect With Us!
Marion County WIC
3180 Center St. NE, Suite 1360, Salem, OR 97301
Phone: (503) 588-5057 | Fax: (503) 566-2971
Text: Message "marion" to 20121 to start a text conversation with Marion County WIC!