Independence Bridge Project
Willamette River Foundation Scour Protection Improvements
County has received State funding for making much needed bridge foundation
protection measures around bridge bents (footings) 3 – 7 illustrated in the aerial photo below. The County has hired a highly qualified consultant firm to conduct the design and prepare plans to construct scour repairs on the existing Independence Bridge. Marion County has an existing agreement with Polk County regarding Maintenance of the bridge, which allows Marion County to perform maintenance activities as required to maintain and operate the bridge. This project will extend the service life of the bridge by addressing scour issues at the bridge piers.
State Local Bridge Program funds along with County matching funds are being utilized to construct the upgrades. The total Project cost for the work to be performed under this contract is estimated at $2,850,800 which includes engineering, construction, and administration.
Construction is expected to begin in the summer of 2022 and be completed by the Fall of 2023.
- The Bridge is critical link across Willamette River and must be preserved and protected
- Designed in 1940's, opened in 1951; Approach substructure replaced with steel in 1984-1985; major rehab in 2000; and Pier 1 scour protection in 2008
- The Bridge is scour critical, Piers 1 and 2 previously protected and functioning well
- Anticipate protecting Piers 3 & 7 thru 10 per 1999 Hydraulic Analysis
- 2008 Hydraulic Analysis confirms Pier 2 protection from 2000 is good
For comments or questions about this project, email ConstructionProjects@co.marion.or.us.