Alcohol & Drug Prevention Program
The Marion County Substance Abuse Prevention Program utilizes the science of prevention to prevent alcohol and drug abuse in our communities. We disseminate information, provide technical assistance in delivering research-based prevention curricula in schools, facilitate Strengthening Families Program 10-14 parenting classes, promote alternatives to substance use/abuse, offer youth development opportunities, and assist our Oregon Together groups in mobilizing our communities toward change.
Overview of Services
The Marion County alcohol and drug prevention program consists of key partnerships and support systems with community groups, social service agencies, school districts, for Oregon Together (Communities That Care) groups, and local prevention and treatment providers.
The program serves our rural communities primarily working with the 9 rural school districts and community based organizations. We also network with Salem-Keizer 24J School District prevention team.
We also work to engage and mobilize Marion County communities by supporting our four Oregon Together (Communities That Care) Groups, including Friends of the Family (Stayton), Jefferson Together!, Silverton Together, and Woodburn Together. These groups have prioritized substance abuse prevention as a primary focus of their projects. We also work with Marion County Children and Families Commission to support the Community Progress Teams by sharing funding/grant resource information, parenting programming, and youth leadership development programs.
- Facilitate Strengthening Families Program for Parents and Youth age 10-14 – a parenting class offered in Spanish and English
- Provide technical assistance in delivering research-based curriculum; such as
- Safe Dates
- Project Alert
- Project Toward No Drug Abuse
- Choosing Not to Use
- Protecting Oneself and Others
- Provide technical assistance and consultation regarding substance abuse prevention, policy development and in-service training for staff
- Assist community coalitions and school districts with technical assistance in applying prevention research, program/ project development, project evaluation, and grant writing
- Support CERV (Committed Enforcement for Responsible Vendors) Task Force, a multidisciplinary effort working to reduce youth access and availability of alcohol
- Disseminate educational resources and materials for prevention and treatment
- Maintain provider listing of Marion County Addiction Resource Services
- Offer friendly PEERsuasion, an evidence-based after school program for middle - school girls.
Prevention Program Office
2045 Silverton Rd NE, Suite B
Salem, OR 97301
(503) 566-2901 (Salem calls)
Fax: (503) 566-2977